On August 6, 1945, the atomic bomb exploded over Hiroshima. Little known is the fact that among the
estimated 140,000 casualties of that day were 12 American prisoners of war held at the Hiroshima Military Police Headquarters since July 28, when they had been shot down during a bombing raid. For decades, the families of these 12 Americans were never informed as to the fates of their loved ones. Thanks to the tireless efforts of Mr. Shigeaki Mori, himself a hibakusha (A-bomb survivor), the names of these 12 are now included in the Hiroshima Peace Museum, and the relatives have learned the truth. Paper Lanterns is a film documentary directed by Barry Frechette, and tells the story of Mr. Mori and his dream of reaching out to the relatives of these lost airmen.
Quartet Records is very proud to present the highly emotional film score debut of the talented young
American composer Chad Cannon, who has written a wide variety of contemporary concert music pieces, and has also worked as an orchestrator for Conrad Pope, Alexandre Desplat and Howard Shore.
Chad Cannon’s music for Paper Lanterns is moving and beautiful, elegantly written, artfully orchestrated, and recorded by Grammy award-winner Matthew Snyder. The album includes an original song performed (and with lyrics) by Mai Fujisawa, daughter of Japanese film composer Joe Hisaishi.
We are sure that the score of Paper Lanterns is one of the musical surprises of the year, and that Chad Cannon is an important and personal new voice in the film music community.
1. PAPER LANTERNS 2:05
2. REMEMBERING RALPH AND NORMAND 3:51
3. EVERY SON WAS GOING 1:40
4. JIJITSU DAKE DENAKUTE (NOT JUST THE FACTS) 2:44
5. A LETTER FROM HIROSHIMA 2:18
6. I SEARCHED ALL 50 STATES TO FIND YOU 2:53
7. IKACHI WELCOMES RALPH 3:22
8. ONDO NO FUNA-UTA (TRADITIONAL) 1:15
9. MEMORIES OF THE BATTLESHIP “TONÉ” 5:44
10. NAKAMURA’S ACCOUNT 3:50
11. I WAS INSIDE THE MUSHROOM CLOUD 6:27
12. FLOWERS ON TWO GRAVES 7:06
13. WHY I DID IT 4:43
14. THE PERSEVERENCE OF MR MORI 5:51
15. THEME SONG 4:24 lyrics by Mai Fujisawa