PLEASE NOTE: This item has a planned release for Late October and is only available for PRE-ORDER at this time.
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
Quartet Records presents a double-bill of Spanish horror cult-films directed by Michael Skaife, both featuring original scores by Alfonso Santisteban.
El asesino de muñecas (Killing of the Dolls) (1975) is a rarity—a “giallo” in Spanish cinema of the early ’70s. It is far removed from the usual fantasy/terror films of those years because it plays with an eroticism centered on its male protagonist, rather than the more common spotlight on female exhibitionism. Alfonso Santisteban provides a cool score, an undiscovered masterpiece, with a powerful, funky main theme (its sound halfway between scores for the popular Italian giallo and polizziesco genres), as well as a beautiful love theme, dynamic suspense music and Baroque pop!
Necrophagus (aka The Butcher of Binbrook) (1971) was Skeife’s first film, and it stands out among the numerous Spanish fantasy/terror ?lms of those years, surprising in its absence of eroticism, and in its brief scenes that construct a dark, intriguing puzzle halfway between Gothic tales and Latin American telenovelas. Santisteban provides an intense musical experience featuring both tonal and atonal passages, with a strong focus on certain instruments such as harpsichord, organ and harmonica, in a score that mimics the sound of some Hammer films.
This is the first release of both scores in any form. The CD was mastered by Nicolás Tsabertidis from original master tapes. The package includes a 12-page booklet with liner notes by Juan Sánchez that discuss the ?lms, the scores and the composers. This release is strictly limited to 300 units.
KILLING OF THE DOLLS (EL ASESINO DE MUÑECAS)
1. El asesino de muñecas (Black and Blue) (3:03)
2. Los traumas del asesino (2:56)
3. Un largo verano (2:45)
4. Entre el bien y el mal (2:11)
5. Un corazón para coleccionar (2:24)
6. Amor de cartón (Vocal) (4:36)
7. Del sueño a la realidad (2:16)
8. La mente del asesino (2:42)
9. Opus Bach (2:33)
10. Muñecas infernales (1:56)
11. Amor de cartón (Instrumental) (4:34)
NECROPHAGUS (EL DESCUARTIZADOR DE BINBROOK)
12. Main Title (2:22)
13. Necrophagus (Seq. 02) (1:15)
14. Necrophagus (Seq. 03) (1:23)
15. Necrophagus (Seq. 04) (3:16)
16. Necrophagus (Seq. 05) (2:37)
17. Necrophagus (Seq. 06) (1:01)
18. Necrophagus (Seq. 07) (1:24)
19. Necrophagus (Seq. 08) (2:32)
20. Necrophagus (Seq. 09) (0:38)
21. Necrophagus (Seq. 10) (1:22)
22. Necrophagus (Seq. 11) (1:29)
23. Necrophagus (Seq. 12) (1:05)
24. Finale (1:12)
Total Disc Time: 53:43