This disc comprises some of cinemas most memorable musical moments, as chosen and arranged for four guitars by the members of the Aquarelle Guitar Quartet.
Without music, movies would not be what they are today, and the Quartet here explores the full stylistic spectrum of the film music genre. It is in the interpretation of this variety, they explain, that the guitar truly comes alive.
Many, if not most, of the film scores represented on this disc are classics, and they have the awards to show for it. Music from the Academy Award-winning scores for Frida, Titanic, Schindlers List, and Il postino rubs shoulders with Minor Swing from Chocolat, which received a Golden Globe for Best Original Score.
Also on this disc is the Theme from the score for A Summer Place by Max Steiner, which won him the Grammy Award for Record of the Year in 1961, and music from the more recent The Piano, the soundtrack for which received an Ivor Novello Award, and subsequently became a classical music bestseller with more than 3 million copies sold.
Music from these and many other famous films is here performed by the Aquarelle Guitar Quartet, a dynamic and innovative ensemble that captivates audiences with eclectic repertoire and spell-binding performances. Since its formation, the Quartet has performed extensively across the UK and abroad to great critical acclaim.
1. Titanic (James Horner)
2. Minor Swing (Chocolat) (Django Reinhart)
3. Have you ever really loved a woman (Don Juan de Marco) (Michael Kamen)
4. Tubular Bells (The Exorcist) (Mike Oldfield)
5. De Usuahia a la Quiaca (Motorcycle Diaries) (Gustavo Santaolalla)
6. The Fire Inside (Zorba) (Mikis Theodorakis)
7. Por Una Cabeza (Scent of a Woman) (Carlos Cardel)
8. Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence (Ryuichi Sakamoto)
9. Cavatina (The Deer Hunter) (Stanley Myers)
10. The Heart Asks Pleasure First (The Piano) (Michael Nyman)
11. Theme from Schindlers List (John Williams)
12. Cinema Paradiso (Ennio Morricone)
13. Il Postino (Luis Bacalov)
14. Was It Rain? (Theme from The Third Man) (Anton Karas)
15. Theme from A Summer Place (Max Steiner)
16. Nocturne No. 20 in C sharp minor (The Pianist) (Fryderyk Chopin)
17. Theme from Love Story (Francis Lai)
18. Themes from Frida (Elliott Goldenthal)