Perseverance Records is happy to announce the re-issue of the 1980s cult musical, Pennies From Heaven.
Coming off his monster hit, The Jerk, Steve Martin decided that he wanted to do something completely different. He teamed with his Jerk co-star (and then girlfriend) Bernadette Peters to make a Busby Berkeley-esque musical drama set in 1920s Depression-era Chicago. The movie was something a lot of Martin’s fans did not expect from the “Wild and Crazy Guy” comic. The film features him dancing through many elaborate numbers with a big cast of extras. The film was nominated for three Oscars (Costume, Sound, Adapted Screenplay).
The soundtrack LP was originally released on Warner Bros Records in 1981. Long out of print, and never before on CD, it’s a great collection of classic music from a musical era long since past. The movie enjoys a strong cult following and this soundtrack will be a welcome addition to any fan’s collection.
• We remastered this which means a quality sounding master of many Depression era classics. Keep in mind that even the original LP used these elements which were taken from original 78 albums.
• Nothing additional was added. The master is the same track list as the original double LP release.
• Beautiful 12-page booklet, designed by James Wingrove, containing liner notesLiner notes by Daniel Schweiger.
• Another reasonably priced re-issue from the WEA back catalogue for collectors to enjoy.
1. The Clouds Will Soon Roll By (03:13)
Performed by Elsie Carlisle with Ambrose & His Orchestra
2. Yes, Yes! (02:40)
Performed by Sam Browne & The Carlyle Cousins
3. I'll Never Have To Dream Again (03:00)
Performed by Connie Boswell
4. Roll Along Prairie Moon (02:49)
Performed by Fred Latham with Jack Johnson & His Orchestra
5. Did You Ever See a Dream Walking? (03:17)
Performed by Bing Crosby
6. Pennies From Heaven (03:48)
Performed by Arthur Tracy. Additional music arranged and conducted by Marvin Hamlisch. Violin solo by Bobby Bruce.
7. It's the Girl (03:12)
Performed by The Boswell Sisters
8. Love Is Good for Anything That Ails You (02:26)
Performed by Ida Sue McCune. Arranged and conducted by Billy May.
9. Let's Put Out the Lights and Go To Sleep (03:36)
Performed by Rudy Vallee & His Connecticut Yankees
10. It's a Sin To Tell a Lie (02:44)
Performed by Dolly Dawn with George Hall & His Orchestra
11. I Want To Be Bad (03:03)
Performed by Helen Kane
12. Life Is Just a Bowl of Cherries (01:21)
Performed by Walt Harrah, Gene Merlino, Vern Rowe, & Robert Tebow. Arranged and conducted by Billy May.
13. Let's Misbehave (04:11)
Performed by Irving Aaronson & His Commanders. Additional music arranged and conducted by Marvin Hamlisch.
14. Serenade In the Night (02:43)
Performed by Ronnie Hill & Primo Scala's Accordion Band
15. Fancy Our Meeting (03:07)
Performed by Jack Buchanan & Elsie Randolph
16. Let's Face the Music and Dance (07:53)
Performed by Fred Astaire
17. Pennies From Heaven (02:28)
Performed by Steve Martin. Arranged and conducted by Billy May.
18. The Glory of Love (02:50)
Performed by Lew Stone & His Band