PLEASE NOTE: This item has a planned release for Mid July and is only available for PRE-ORDER at this time.
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
In collaboration with MovieScore Media, Music Box Records is pleased to present the premiere CD release of the score to the 2017 thriller film Kaufman’s Game (2017) composed by French composer Philippe Jakko (Allies, Le Cœur en braille aka Heartstrings).
Written and directed by Helier Bissell-Thomas, Kaufman’s Game tells the story of Stanley (Jye Frasca), a young man who dreams of becoming a champion boxer despite the fact his physical build makes him unsuitable for such heavy workload. When a stranger approaches him outside the gym with the offer of a specially produced steroid, Stanley gets drawn into the increasingly more violent operations of a powerful organization, while unwittingly entering into a series of tests designed to prove his mettle.
“The music had to be eerie, ominous, mysterious, with tension as a modern film noir,” explains Philippe Jakko about the project. “In order to keep an anxiogenic ambiance, I used unusual harmonies, atonal moments, glissandi, quarter tones; harmonics. But I didn’t want it to sound like an horror soundtrack, the music has to be sometimes cold, other times it needed to be warmer. I also used traditional leitmotif techniques, such as giving Stanley a soft piano arpeggio or a Moog synth for the Mafia guys.” The score uses a small ensemble of strings, horns, electronic synths, cristal baschet, vintage organ, programmings and a few parts for cello, played by soloist Eve-Marie Caravassilis.
The 8-page booklet features liner notes by Gergely Hubai, discussing the film and the score, based on an original interview with the composer. Limited edition of 300 units. -MUSIC BOX RECORDS
1. Kaufman’s Adagio (3:16)
2. The Boxer (2:14)
3. Mafia on Rooftop, Pt. 1 (3:55)
4. The Needle (3:04)
5. The Shower (1:24)
6. Stanley in the Building (2:45)
7. Kaufman (7:19)
8. Running (1:40)
9. London Night (4:18)
10. Gunshot in the Street (5:22)
11. The Crypt (4:59)
12. A Good Scare (3:45)
13. Remember My Father (5:16)
14. Stanley (1:25)
15. Mafia at Night (1:27)
16. The Chemist (4:23)
17. Mafia on Rooftop, Pt. 2 (2:40)
18. Stanley on the Bridge (1:24)
19. The Dream (1:55)
20. Epilogue (1:45)
Total Time • 64:17