PLEASE NOTE: This item has a planned release date of August 21, 2018 and is only available for PRE-ORDER at this time.
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
“A bright and affectionate peek at the trials and tribulations of young National Service rookies…violence in the jungle and streets of terrorist-infested Malaya is in striking, effective contrast to the boisterous, bawdy, barrack-room atmosphere.”
“At its best, the movie really does become involved, in small and private ways, with the question of imperialism…Evokes an awareness a little deeper and sharper and more moving than the film’s tired genre requires.”
– Roger Greenspun, The New York Times
Set in 1950 during the Malayan Emergency, The Virgin Soldiers (1969) is part service comedy, part serious look at the end of the British Empire, as seen through the eyes of more or less innocent recruits to the National Service. Brilliantly navigating the shifting tone are the divine Lynn Redgrave, Hywel Bennett, Nigel Davenport, Nigel Patrick, Rachel Kempson, and Jack Shepherd; directed by John Dexter, the film was shot on location in Singapore and Malaya by one of the great British cinematographers of the 1960s, Kenneth Higgins (Georgy Girl, Darling).
VIDEO: 1080p High Definition / 1.85:1
AUDIO: English 1.0 DTS-HD MA
SUBTITLES: English SDH
1969 / Color
Special Features: Isolated Music Track / Original Theatrical Trailer
Limited Edition of 3,000 Units