PLEASE NOTE: This item has a planned release for Early May and is only available for PRE-ORDER at this time.
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
Dragon’s Domain Records, to be distributed through buysoundtrax.com, presents THE DENNIS McCARTHY COLLECTION, Vol. 1: The Television Movies. Best known for scoring episodes of television’s STAR TREK series, from NEXT GENERATION through VOYAGER, McCarthy has also composed music for features films and numerous TV movies.
This collection focuses on the latter, presenting the music McCarthy wrote for a quartet of television movies in the ‘80s and ‘90s. STAYING AFLOAT (1993) was a TV pilot starring Larry Hagman as a troubled heir who becomes an FBI informant in order to make ends meet. McCarthy composed a cool Henry Mancini-esque jazz score that was light and frothy and kept the show upbeat and fun. SWORN TO SILENCE (1987) starred Peter Coyote and Dabney Coleman as attorneys defending a serial killer; when the suspect informs them where he buried the bodies they realize he’s guilty, but as his lawyers they are unable to reveal the information. The drama featured a very dark score that mixed orchestra with electronics. This was one of the scores that McCarthy used as a demo that got him hired to score STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION.
IN THE NAME OF LOVE: A TEXAS TRAGEDY (1995) is a crime of passion story about the grandson of a rich Texas oil tycoon who falls in love with a poor girl from the wrong side of the tracks. Complications arise and someone ends up being murdered as tensions heat up; the movie was loosely based on a true story. McCarthy focused on the Texas location and went back to his country/pop roots to create a bluesy/bluegrass/country music score that underlines the day-to-day lives of the characters while reinforcing the tragic storyline as it unravels. The Lifetime TV-movie IN HER SISTER’S SHADOW (1997) is about a woman who secretly dates her sister’s ex-boyfriend, gradually realizing he is unstable and dangerous. McCarthy’s orchestral score ran the line between romantic music and suspenseful tension as the story plays out.
Each of these scores was written for relatively small ensembles, but it’s a testament to McCarthy’s talent that he makes them sound so much more than that. None of the scores have been released before. Dragon’s Domain Records is excited to present these scores for the first time and allow them to be appreciated. The album has been mastered by James Nelson at Digital Outland and features exclusive liner notes by author Randall D. Larson. THE DENNIS McCARTHY COLLECTION, VOLUME 1: THE TELEVISION MOVIES is presented in a limited edition of 500 units.
STAYING AFLOAT (1993) (Original Score)
01. Staying Afloat - Main Title (4:02)
02. Cat Killer (1:19)
03. El Quashio (1:12)
04. On The Road (1:29)
05. Searching For Clues (2:17)
06. The Cat Prowls About (1:06)
07. Sneaking Around (1:57)
08. Welcome to Bermuda (2:18)
09. The Cat Falls Asleep (2:21)
10. Catching The Bad Guy (2:48)
11. Happy Ending (1:33)
SWORN?TO?SILENCE (1987) (Original Score)
12. Fanfare (1:01)
13. Main Title and the Murders (2:01)
14. Interlude (1:16)
15. Finding The Bodies (5:17)
16. Nobility (2:19)
17. Finale and End Title (0:59)
IN?THE?NAME?OF?LOVE A?TEXAS?TRAGEDY (1995) (Original Score)
18. Opening Titles (2:06)
19. Laurette and Luke (3:32)
20. After Laurette (1:43)
21. Bad Ass (0:56)
22. Reunion (2:59)
23. Finale (2:32)
IN?MY?SISTER’S?SHADOW (1997) (Original Score)
24. The Story Begins (0:54)
25. Sisterly Tension (2:26)
26. Joan and Laurie (3:24)
27. Discovery (3:51)
28. Betrayal and Sorrow (5:54)
29. Sisters Before Psychos (4:36)
30. Confrontation / Finale (6:03)
Total Time: 77:10