PLEASE NOTE: This item has a planned release for Early July and is only available for PRE-ORDER at this time.
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
Born in 1924 in the then Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia), Gerard Schurmann grew up in England, and after serving in the Royal Air Force during the war, combined his career as a concert pianist with a diplomatic role as Cultural Attache at the Netherlands Embassy. On the recommendation of Alan Rawsthorne, Ealing Studios commissioned Schurmann for the score for the Jack Hawkins police drama 'The Long Arm' (released as 'The Third Key' in the US). More commissions followed, initially from the burgeoning British 1950s horror scene (represented here by Konga and Horrors of the Black Museum and then from mainstream cinema. 'The Ceremony,' directed by and starring Laurence Harvey was followed by 'Dr. Syn, alias The Scarecrow' and the WWII action movie 'Attack on the Iron Coast,' starring Lloyd Bridges. Rumon Gamba completes this overview with scores from Claretta, a lavish portrayal of the final days of Mussolini and his mistress Claretta Petacci; and finally the 1997 film 'The Gambler' in which Sir Michael Gambon vividly portrayed the great Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
Rumon Gumba conducts the BBC Philharmonic
1. I. Brandy Smugglers on the Beach, and Chase: Poco allegro - Piùmosso - Doppio più lento [02:40] 2. II. Dr Syn, Vicar of Dymchurch: Moderato - Adagio - TempoI [03:12] 3. III. Bates' Escape: Allegro molto - Meno mosso - Doppio meno -Allargando [01:08] 4. IV. Squire Banks and His Family: Adagio - Più mosso [03:57] 5. V. Flight from the King's Men: Allegro con fuoco [01:38] 6. VI. Ransley's Betrayal: Adagio - Poco più mosso - Più mosso [02:49] 7. VII. Smugglers Ambushed: Allegro - Più mosso - Subito menomosso [01:58] 8. VIII. Farewell: Moderato - Adagio - Allargando molto [03:24] 9. I. Little Ape at Play: Allegro moderato [01:46] 10. II. A Sad Conclusion: Sostenuto - Subito meno mosso - Teneramente- Allargando molto [02:36] 11. I. Claretta's Diary: Tranquillo [02:30] 12. II. Palazzo Venezia: Largo - Più mosso [02:42] 13. III. Waltz: Tempo di Valse [02:18] 14. IV. End Titles: Moderato - Poco movimento - Moderato [01:53] 15. I. Jailed in Morocco: Allegro - Adagio - Tempo I - Doppio menomosso [03:31] 16. II. Tangiers: Moderato - Più lento [03:18] 17. III. Father O'Brian: Andante [02:19] 18. IV. Sadly Musing [03:10] 19. V. Escape [01:15] 20. VI. Prison Revolt: — - Doppio movimento - Presto - Menomosso [02:57] 21. The Long Arm: Tailing the Suspect [01:48] 22. I. Main Titles and London Traffic: Allegro - Meno mosso [03:24] 23. II. Gruesome Murders: Ferocemente - Doppio meno - Doppiopiù [01:54] 24. I. Anna and Dostoyevsky: Adagio - Meno lento [02:48] 25. II. Roulettenbourg: Romanza - Meno mosso [02:41] 26. III. Gambling: — - Allegro [02:05] 27. IV. Carriage Ride and Sunrise [01:57] 28. V. A New Beginning: Adagio - Romanza - Moderato - Tempo diRomanza - Adagio [06:15] 29. Attack on the Iron Coast: Main Title [03:21]