PLEASE NOTE: This item has a planned release for Mid June and is only available for PRE-ORDER at this time.
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
Quartet Records and Universal Music Group presents premiere CD release of Hugo Friedhofer's majestic score for The Sun Also Rises, based on Hemingway's classic story.
Produced by Darryl F. Zanuck, The Sun Also Rises falls in line with other Hemingway adaptations of the era (such as Fox's own The Snows of Kilimanjaro). Starring Ava Gardner, Tyrone Power, Mel Ferrer, Errol Flynn and a very young Robert Evans as a matador, the film is a character study of the lost generation, taking place in France and Spain, capturing candid images of the controversial bullfights of the era.
The music by Hugo Friedhofer is divided into two sections based on the locations. The Paris sequences are heavier on the underscoring with a few chansons providing local color. The second half of the story is more focused on traditional Spanish music with Alexander Courage arranging local music for the street scenes. The guitar parts were performed by soloist Vicente Gomez, who also wrote one of the cues.
The CD contains the complete LP program, which accounts for most of the score. The first half covers the Paris scenes, while the Spanish sequences were represented by longer suites. Restored and mastered by Chris Malone from elements courtesy of UMG, the CD includes as a bonus track the main title without narration (as it was presented on the LP). The 8-page booklet by Gergely Hubai discusses the movie, the composer and its music. -QUARTET RECORDS
01. Main Title (3:49)
02. Jake Barnes' Theme (1:58)
03. The Bal Musette Cafe (7:11)
04. Hospital Memories (5:59)
05. The Select Cafe (2:27)
06. The Fiesta of San Fermin (6:05)
07. Cantina (3:42)
08. La Fiesta Brava (6:11)
09. The Beach at Biarritz (4:09)
10. Main Title (2:29) (without narration)