Quartet Records, in collaboration with Universal Music Publishing Italia and GDM, presents a greatly expanded edition of one of the most celebrated collaborations between composer Armando Trovajoli and director Ettore Scola.
BRUTTI, SPORCHI E CATTIVI (1976) is about a poor outlaw family living in the suburbs of Rome. Headed by patriarch Giacinto Mazzatella (Nino Manfredi), the family practices all sorts of debauchery in the midst of the shantytown. When Giacinto comes into a fortune due to an insurance payment, he plans to spend it all on himself while his descendants try to find the treasure. Unfortunately, he may have also forgotten its whereabouts...
Trovajoli’s catchy score includes a theme song for the unusual family as well as a strong main theme featuring solo harmonica and synthesizers. The youngest children of the family, who are kept in a play cage, are immortalized in a folksier tune. A host of fun source cues emanate from the family’s most important treasure, a TV only capable of broadcasting RAI programming.
The score for BRUTTI, SPORCHI AND CATTIVI was originally released on a 12-track LP by RCA; a GDM CD reissue came out in 2009 with one bonus track. This 76-minutes-long CD contains the remastered original album as well as the film versions and bonus material, thus including everything recorded by the composer for the film. Produced by Claudio Fuiano with the support of the Trovajoli estate, and mastered by Chris Malone, the release includes a lavishly illustrated 12-page book with liner notes by Gergely Hubai discussing the film and the score.
1. Brutti, Sporchi e Cattivi (Vocal) (4:28)
2. Tema della goccia (3:08)
3. Maria libera e i bambini (3:08)
4. Iside e Giacinto (3:35)
5. Il sogno (3:01) 6. Vita da Baraccati (4:16)
7. Racconto televisivo (4:14)
8. Celhoio (2:02)
9. Nonna Antonecca (3:04)
10. L’avvelenamento di Giacinto (2:28)
11. Brutti, Sporchi e Cattivi (Ins.) (4:36)
12. Concludendo… (3:05)
13. Brutti, Sporchi e Cattivi (alt. vocal) (3:19)
14. Celhoio (alternate) (1:35)
15. L’avvelenamento di Giacinto (film version) (2:14)
16. Maria libera e i bambini (long version) (4:45)
17. Nonna Antonecca (film version) (3:39)
18. L’avvelenamento di Giacinto (alternate) (2:04)
19. Brutti, Sporchi e Cattivi (alternate instr.) (4:54)
20. L’avvelenamento di Giacinto (alternate 2) (2:30)
21. Brutti, Sporchi e Cattivi (La ballata del baraccato) (4:06)
22. Brutti, Sporchi e Cattivi (Piano solo) (4:12)
Total Disc Time: 75:41