PLEASE NOTE: This item has a planned release date of January 13, 2024 and is only available for PRE-ORDER at this time.
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
World premiere of complete James Horner early space opera soundtrack! Following on the heels of Intrada’s expanded release of Humanoids From The Deep is James Horner’s wildly popular early outer space epic, scored in 1980 when the young composer’s career was literally just getting underway. Highlights from the score were released on vinyl at the time, and that program has appeared numerous times on CD. Now Intrada is proud to finally present the entire score, newly expanded and remastered from the actual 2” 24-track recording session masters for the first time ever!
Details in the recording come through with stunning clarity and power previously not available. In addition to the familiar cues, this new edition also offers many cues previously not released, including the powerful early cues for the “Hammerhead” and the “Sniper’s, Fire!” sequences. Other exciting new pieces include “Dr. Hephaestus’s Station”, “The Destruction Of Umateal”, “Kidnapped!” and many others, all in splendid stereo sound. The performance on the original release was less than perfect, but with current state-of-the-art technology, engineers Douglass Fake and Chris Malone were able to meticulously address some of the errant notes, particularly in the high trumpet parts. The complete score runs over an hour on CD 1. Intrada will be releasing it digitally as well.
For fans of the popular original 1980 program, we have included that album as well, newly remastered on CD 2. Jimmy T. Murakami & Roger Corman directed this outer space fantasy in the wake of the exploding popularity of Star Wars and the many imitations that followed. Drawing inspiration from the famous Seven Samurai and Magnificent Seven feature films, the script from John Sayles now set the action in outer space, with Richard Thomas, Robert Vaughn, John Saxon, Sybil Danning starring and George Peppard grabbing the spotlight as “Cowboy”. Another asset: the special effects feature the imaginative early work of James Cameron.
Initially released through Roger Corman’s New World Pictures, the movie was a modest box office hit. Trivia of interest: Bill Paxton was then working as a carpenter on the set. Horner’s energetic score was literally a launch pad for his later Star Trek II and Krull scores. David Newman conducts the orchestra, James Horner composes. Intrada Special Collection 2-CD set available while quantities and interest remain! -INTRADA
CD 1 THE SCORE
01. Main Title (2:03)
02. Hammerhead (3:37)
03. Snipers, Fire! (1:19)
04. Shad’s Entrance (0:58)
05. First Flight (3:51)
06. Dr. Hephaestus’s Station (2:57)
07. First Conversation (4:16)
08. Jackers Ahead! (3:37)
09. The Destruction Of Umateal (1:22)
10. Nanelia’s Capture (1:31)
11. We Cruise For Akir! (1:32)
12. Kidnapped! (1:25)
13. Nascosto Flyaway (0:28)
14. Gelt’s Kill (2:32)
15. Hammerhead Stinger II (0:32)
16. Love Theme (1:35)
17. The Alarm Sounds (0:40)
18. Space Battle (4:36)
19. Battle In The Maze (2:25)
20. Zed’s Death (3:13)
21. Gelt Dies (1:31)
22. Shad And Nanelia (1:29)
23. Another Space Battle (1:00)
24. St. Exmin’s Death (1:33)
25. Cowboy Attacks (1:47)
26. Destruction Of Hammerhead (5:56)
27. Epilog/End Title (5:08)
Total Score Time: 62:53
28. Gelt’s Chamber Music (1:35)
CD 1 Total Time: 64:28
CD 2 Original 1980 Soundtrack Album
01. Main Title (2:00)
02. Malmori Rear Guard (3:51)
03. The Battle Begins (3:31)
04. Shad And Nanelia (1:29)
05. Cowboy And The Jackers (3:37)
06. Nanelia’s Capture (1:28)
07. The Maze Battle (3:10)
08. Shad’s Pursuit (3:22)
09. Cowboy’s Attack (1:44)
10. Love Theme (3:52)
11. The Hunter (1:38)
12. Gelt’s Death (1:28)
13. Nanelia (1:32)
14. Heading For Sador (0:59)
15. Destruction Of Hammerhead (2:35)
16. Epilogue / End Title (5:03)
CD 2 Total Time: 42:39
Total Discs Time: 105:07